[ppml] Proposed Policy: 4-Byte AS Number Policy Proposal

Rich Emmings rich at nic.umass.edu
Tue Dec 13 09:46:19 EST 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Geoff Huston wrote:

[regarding separation of policy proposals on documentation/private space]

No real objection to that.

> While I have heard of folk indicating that the private IPv4 address space is
> too small, I have not heard of anyone saying that the 1023 AS numbers
> reserved for private use is too small. [ balance deleted]

More thinking that 1023 could perceived as some as being too large a
reservation of the top two bytes.

>>         b) administrative ease is addressed here by using the same range,
>> at the possible expense of "c"
>>         c) efficiency of allocation is not -- could be with a small range
>> at the top, at the expense of "b"
>

> it is unclear to me what your point is here.

Reservation of the top 1023 2 bytes in 4 byte space is a larger chunk of
space, than is probably needed, but using the same numbers as in 2 byte
space is easier to remember -- administrative ease.  The other side is to
only strip off a few addresses at the top, say: 65520.x - 65534.x, instead
of 1023 (in the first 2 bytes of the 4.)

---

AS2 -> AS4 transition will mirror what will happen in IPv6 implementation.
Won't happen until/if forced, workarounds allowing the continued use of AS2
space will probably be developed ala some of the tools which extended the
IPv4 lifetime (both good and ugly), they'll be some things that won't leave
IPv4 space for 10+ years, if ever, and they'll be grumbling all over.  In
other words, same as always.  (but no reason not to get started now)