[ppml] Proposed Policy: 4-Byte AS Number Policy Proposal

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Tue Dec 13 06:24:23 EST 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Owen DeLong wrote:

> 3.	I am not sure that sequential ASN allocation is worth while.  I do
> 	think it makes sense for ICANN to allocate blocks of ASNs to RIRs
>
> 	as is currently done, and, that prevents perfect sequentiality, so,
> 	I'm not sure that within a block sequential allocation from RIRs
> 	actually matters.  I suspect that ICANN will issue a single
> 	16 bit ASN prefix to each RIR to start, but, perhaps there will be
> 	some reason ICANN wants to issue smaller or larger chunks of ASNs.

Yes, I think it would be good idea to consider upper 16 bits in 4-byte ASN
to  be like upper 8 bits in ip4 and have IANA manage set of those and
allocate  from there to specific RIR, i.e. 1.xxxxx (1.0-1.65535) could
be reallocated to ARIN, 2.xxxxx to RIPE, 3.xxxxx to APNIC, etc
  with 0:xxxxx becoming a version of 192.x.x.x swamp for ASNs....

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net