[ppml] ":" - Re: Proposed Policy: 4-Byte AS Number Policy Proposal

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Tue Dec 13 05:45:50 EST 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 04:35:05PM -0500, Edward Lewis wrote:
> The syntax "a:b" does not appear in that document.  Is it defined
> elsewhere?  The use of the ":" as separator bothers me as that is
> used in IPv6 address notation.

And in community syntax, for both standard communities and extended
communities (which become very very ugly with this notation).

But you are right, probably not the place to discuss that, although
this document text would set a precedence.

A question to Geoff: why will issueing of 4-byte ASNs start only at
2007-01-01, not earlier? To give RIRs two(!) years time to prepare
themselves from 32bit ASN?

Regards,
Daniel