[ppml] 2005-1:Business Need for PI Assignments

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Wed Apr 27 05:26:54 EDT 2005

> --On Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:03 AM +0100 Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
> wrote:

One of the reasons why I get rid of lines like this when I
reply to an email is because it is hard to keep track of exactly
who said what beyond the message to which you are replying.

> >> What I mean is - I have yet to be convinced that there is a concrete
> >> reason to assign gobs of addresses to my house.  Why not dole out
> >> IPv6 a few addresses at a time until it's clear I need a /48 or /52
> >> or /60.

For example, I didn't say this, Ed Lewis did.

> > Not at all. Innovation comes about when traditional ways of doing
> > things can no longer cope. It has nothing to do with IPv6 address
> > conservation. If we run out of IPv6 addresses in the year 2105, then
> > that may spark some innovation.
> >
> So you're saying we should waste addresses today in order to limit the
> useful live of IPv6 because that will accelerate our development of the
> next protocol.  Michael, you have a unique way of viewing the world.

And one of the reasons that I avoid mentioning names in replies is
because it requires extra work to make sure that I really am replying
to the train of thought of the named individual. It also leads to
personal clashes which are not terribly fruitful. Here, you actually
are quoting something that I wrote on fragmentation, but you are
slandering
me as well because this reference to my name again implies that I wrote
Ed Lewis's words above.

It is better to restrict the conversation to ideas and not the
personalities
behind them. If you don't like the personalities, then don't reply to
their
messages at all. For instance, as a matter of policy, I never reply to
anything written by Jeff Williams.

--Michael Dillon