[ppml] Re: IPv6 & /48 [was 2005-1:Business Need for PI Assignments]

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Tue Apr 26 01:25:16 EDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 06:25:04PM -0700, william(at)elan.net wrote:
> Plus lets now consider that smaller ISPs with IP4 get /20 (/22 with
> micro-allocation policy) where as with IP6 they all justify /32. The
> difference between /20 and /8 is 2^12 which is almost exactly the
> difference between /32 and /19 (there its 2^13). So what I see is that
> RIPE might have applied in their allocations the difference as way to
> justify that large block rather then deciding it based purely on number
> of ip addresses (netblocks) needed.

Justification for the large IPv6 allocations in RIPE land were simply
done based on HD ratio.

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ipv6policy.html#hd_ratio
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ipv6policy.html#applied_hd_ratio

So customer count directly translates to allocation size:

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ipv6policy.html#appendixA

A customer count of over 5.5-9.5 million translates to IPv6 /19.

Just to add some facts to the speculation on how RIPE handles large
requests. :-)=

Best regards,
Daniel