[ppml] 2005-1:Business Need for PI Assignments

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Apr 25 15:09:13 EDT 2005

In a message written on Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 11:48:13AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> While the /48 and /64 decisions could be policy, given the current
> constraints
> and assertions in the V6 protocol specifications, it is not a policy
> decision,

The /64 is a design decision consequence of RFC 2462.  However, the
/48 boudary is a recomendation in every draft I can find.  Indeed,
RFC 3177, the most on point here, starts right off with "this
document provides recommendations to the addressing registries",
and then proceeds to defend those recommendations.  RFC's 3513 and
RFC 3587 don't make any further requirements.

So, while it may take the IETF to fix the /64 mess, the /48 mess
can be fixed in RIR policy, including steps like moving it to a /56
or if you were so inclined a /44.

If someone can point to where the IETF _requires_ a /48, I'm all
ears as I've looked and can only find recomendations.