[ppml] 2005-1:Business Need for PI Assignments

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Mon Apr 25 13:16:32 EDT 2005

At 12:45 -0400 4/25/05, Leo Bicknell wrote:

>things we can't predict now.  Much as people laughed at the concept
>that you would need a microprocessor in every doorknob in the 1960's,
>we now regularly use them on a day to day basis in hotels and
>businesses around the world.

Folks laugh at "the world market is for 6 or so computers" and "640K
ought to be enough."  OTOH...

>The problem with all of this is we're extremely bad predictors of
>the future.  Back in the day, a /8 (16/8, to be specific) to DEC

As nothing more than an educated consumer, I would caution against
waste "because of all that we could achieve with the excess."

This is why I'm asking for what makes IPv6 address management
different than IPv4.  I don't see the difference, just analogies.
Analogies are usually fine, I use them myself - but they are still
hypothetical situations.

Why, in say just 5 years, will I want more than a few addresses for
my 30 year old house in a mature subdivision with only basic
utilities and a phone plant incapable of DSL?  (Or so I was told the
last time I tried to get it.)  If there is a good reason, then I
wouldn't balk at getting a /64.

Will more address space allow me to get higher bandwidth and better
reliability?  Will I be now able to have my own web servers in my
house?  My current provider won't even give me https access to my
home mail unless I pay to become a small business.