[ppml] 2005-1:Multi-national Business Enablement

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sun Apr 24 10:13:48 EDT 2005

Thus spake "Daniel Roesen" <dr at cluenet.de>
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 12:28:41AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> > Um... generally, the company should be giving /64s to the
> > employees, VPNs, etc., not /48s.  Every end user with a DSL
> > line, generally, should also be getting a /64 unless they have
> > need of multiple networks, in which case, a /48 would be justified.
>
> Nope. They should get a /48 unless they can convincingly show that
> they'll never need more than a single subnet.

It is ridiculous to think that ISPs are going to completely discard their
current IPv4 topology to deploy IPv6.

Most "residential" ISPs I'm aware of use a single subnet for N customers,
and that is perfectly reasonable to continue with IPv6 -- just assign a /64.
That allows customers to put as many hosts as they want on the "bare"
connection, and any who want their own subnet(s) can be issued a /64 or /48
of their own -- but most will not be interested in that or even understand
what it means.

For employee VPNs and such, the same model applies.  Today, users get a /32;
for IPv6, they would get a /128.  Since corporate policies often _forbid_
having more than one PC at the other end of a VPN connection (each should
have its own), it makes no sense to issue a shorter prefix.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov