[ppml] 2005-1:Business Need for PI Assignments

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Apr 23 03:15:02 EDT 2005

> I'd like to point out that my IPv4 DSL provider gives me a /32
> for my home DSL connection and they never even asked whether
> or not I had a router or a single PC. If this is justification
> enough to get one 4.3 billionth of the IPv4 address space, then
> why does a company need to go through contortions to justify
> one 4.3 billionth of the IPv6 address space?

Michael,
  Resources are not allocated based on the fraction of total available
resources they represent.  They are allocated based on need.  By your
proposal, the bigger the storage tank at a given gasoline station, the
less you should pay per liter for the gas.  Afterall, a bigger tank means
that more liters si the same portion of the available gas compared
to the station with the smaller holding tank.

Owen