[ppml] 2005-1:Business Need for PI Assignments

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Fri Apr 22 15:46:40 EDT 2005

Daniel Roesen wrote:
> We're talking of PI space, not LIR PA space. So a PI owner is never
> supposed to assign subnets from his own PI space to customers (I
> know there are grey areas).

The /44's I was referring to would be an LIR allocation with the same
responsibility for reassignment, record keeping and aggregation as a
full size LIR with a /32.

The difference is these "mini-LIR's" would provide transit as
an side effect of running their business as opposed to an ISP
LIR whose transit business is their primary substantial activity.

Because most "multihoming" type organizations would easially be
able to justify a handful of /48 reassignments, this is a useful
metric for deciding if they have enough "stuff" for a routing slot.

There are enough variables in play to allow fine tuning similar to
the way IPv4 policy has been adjusted over time.

Throw in a multihoming requirement and it's really not much different
than the current IPv4 policy.  If you are multihomed you have
to justify less "stuff" than if you are aren't.

- Kevin