[ppml] ARIN Certificates

Howard, W. Lee L.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Fri Apr 22 15:10:22 EDT 2005

> i don't think that i, for one, will be inclined to agree to
> having any rir, nro, ... revoke my cert for any reason other
> than my specifically requesting it in an extremely well
> authenticated manner.
>
>    "dear customer: we can no longer announce your prefix because
>     apnic has revoked our certificate due to a billing problem and
>     our bgp neighbors will no longer accept our sbgp announcements.
>     of course, you may not get this email, so what the heck."
>
> not a chance in hell.  a cert is your certifying my identity,
> not my membership or billing status.

A good point, although for some value of "reclamation" as defined
through the public policy process, I could imagine this being useful.
Under current practice, address space is not "reclaimed" because of
overdue billing; I don't imagine the public would support changing
that.  But if ARIN believes you are not you (i.e., fraud/hijacking
has been committed), then they could "reclaim" the space, with an
intent consistent with the cert.

> randy

Lee