[ppml] black hole lists

Steve Atkins steve at blighty.com
Thu Apr 21 17:59:24 EDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 08:39:45PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
> > > please call them "black hole lists".
> >
> > Why?
>
> does it matter?  i coined the term -- i get to say what i meant.

If it's used to create blackhole routes then "black hole list" is
clearly an appropriate term, as it describes the intended usage.

For lists that are not intended to be used to create blackhole routes,
it doesn't seem to me to be an accurate description.

> > If it's because it sounds non-PC to juries, that's an answer I can
> > accept, BTW.
>
> it's because of a possible implied intent do to harm.

The intent of some of the lists is to do harm, in as much as blocking
email is harmful to the sender. (For the "subjective" lists such as
the MAPS RBL or the SpamHaus SBL, rather than the "objective" lists
such as the CBL, DUL, BOPM, etc).

However, the dictionary description I have handy for "blacklist" is
"n. a list of people who are out of favor" which seem a perfectly
accurate description of the subjective lists.

(Not that this is the mailing list to have this discussion at any
 great length, of course).

Cheers,
  Steve