[ppml] 2005-1:Business Need for PI Assignments

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Apr 20 18:16:45 EDT 2005

> I hope we can come up with some criteria that will break the current
> log-jam while being as careful as possible.

I've possible idea that has to do with how ip block assignments for
webhosts were dealt with (back several years ago if some of you remember
it was difficult issue as well).

Basicly ARIN policy would strongly suggest that end-users who need ipv6
block first contact their ISP for it, but still allow organizations to
come in and ask ARIN directly as well (as with current ipv4 policies)
but in such a case they have to provide techical reason for such
micro-assignment request and ARIN would collect these reasons and then
on meetings report the statistics and based on the reasons that are being
given, we can decide to modify the policies as necessary.

This does not really resolve problems or offer long-term solution, but it
would make it easier to work on such permanent solution later and to a
degree it should limit how much ip space is requested right away as well.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net