[ppml] 2005-1:Business Need for PI Assignments

Randy Lindsey RLindsey at coinfotech.com
Wed Apr 20 15:43:50 EDT 2005

> We need to come up with a criteria for PI space that will constrain
> the recipient pool to a reasonably small set of large institutions,
> i.e. those who will be multi-homing and for whom renumbering would be
> a major and painful task.

Not only large institutions find it painful and expensive to renumber.
Small ISP's take just as long, and relative to their size the expense is
as great or greater than for a large one.  Remember staff resources are
proportional to size of the organization.  Years ago it took my small
ISP months to migrate from one provider's /21 to another provider.

The current IPv4 minimum of a /19 or /20 is already tough for small
ISP's to reach and eliminates nearly all end-user organizations (in the
larger context of millions of end-user organizations).  I think the IPv6
limit should target the same size of organization as the current IPv4
limit does.  If I multi-home and can qualify for a PI block under IPv4,
I should be able to get one in IPv6 too.

Randy Lindsey
Colorado Information Technologies, Inc.
http://www.coinfotech.com