[ppml] 2005-1:Business Need for PI Assignments

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Apr 20 15:29:01 EDT 2005

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Lea Roberts wrote:

> David, Randy (et al) -0-
>
> I too would like to continue to live the original fantasy of IPv6 where
> one could renumber at will and multihome by connecting to as many
> providers as you were willing to pay.  However, looking at the current
> "operational experience" of which I am aware, neither of those
> deliverables has yet become real.  Are you aware otherwise?
>
> I do understand that there may come a day when the DFZ will only be able
> to contain the maximum aggregation prefixes, but hopefully before then
> some real multihoming option will exist.  Until then, the IPv4 equivalent
> technique, announcing the more specific prefix, will likely continue, so
> whether it is PI or PA, it's still a RIB slot. (yeah, I know the more
> specifics can be filtered at a distance for PA but not PI.  It's still a
> long time from that state for IPv6)
>
> Sticking with the "no PI space" mantra for IPv6 in the absence of viable
> multihoming and/or easy renumbering is just plain wrong.  We need to come
> up with a criteria for PI space that will constrain the recipient pool to
> a reasonably small set of large institutions, i.e. those who will be
> multi-homing and for whom renumbering would be a major and painful task.

I did not comment before on the issue before I was also trying to decide
if evil of new swamp space is worth necessary to multi-home right away.
However I do have to agree with Lea others now and think that policy
for ipv6 micro-allocations for multihomed customers should exist.

Additionally I'd like to note that by not having this policy we may well
be delaying deployment of IPv6 in US and Canada and so North America may
well be getting further and further behind (and we're alredy behind both
Europe and Asia), I really dont think this is good and it may well get
to the point that it begins to effect economy either directly or
indirectly (as new research and new inventions on internet would shift
to where internet technologies are more advanced).

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net