[ppml] 2005-1 alternatives

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Tue Apr 19 17:23:24 EDT 2005

Steve Feldman wrote:
> So there wasn't overwhelming support this morning for 2005-01.
> Why did people vote against it?  Because the proposed criteria
> for allowing PI assignment were bad, because PI space is a bad
> idea in general, or something else?

I'm sorry to hear that.  I had a schedule conflict otherwise
I would have been there to support it.

> If it's the criteria, what would work better?
> Maybe possession of PI v4 space?  That _and_ an AS number?

IMO, IPv4 addresses should never be used as a prerequisite for
IPv6 allocations.  2005-1 allocations are intended for those who
will be multihoming in IPv6.  Demonstrating likely IPv6 (not IPv4)
multihoming would be the ideal prerequisite.  The ASN requirement
comes close to this, though it would include many IPv4 only
multihomers.  In the interest of encouraging deployment, I think
this superset is good in the near term.

- Kevin