[ppml] Policy Proposal 2004-3 point of order

Houle, Joseph D (Joe), CMO jdhoule at att.com
Tue Apr 19 09:54:52 EDT 2005

Folks:

   This may be more of a point of order, then a technical comment.
This proposal has been positioned as a clarification not a change in
policy.   And I expect the result of the "vote" yesterday was primarily
driven by that assertion.

    Let's ask a question and see how one might interpret policy under
the old wording and new wording.

    Question:   Will ARIN provide globally unique addresses to an entity
that has no intention of advertising those addresses out to the Internet
or making those addresses reachable from the Internet.

    Old wording: I suggest most folks would interpret the wording as
"no".

    New wording:  I suggest most would interpret the new wording as
"yes".

    This sounds like a change in policy, not a clarification.

    I'm not sure the mandate from yesterday's vote is to change the
policy.

            Joe Houle