[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-2: Directory Services Overhaul

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Apr 18 08:01:22 EDT 2005

In a message written on Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 11:46:37PM -0700, Jeff Williams wrote:
>   I can understand your attitude and concern here.  Yet it seems
> more than obvious that discretion needs limits and hence a
> flexible policy seem appropriate that has hard and fast requirements
> regarding reporting, ect.    How for instance will it be knowable if
> any ARIN staff member is using good and reasoned discretion?
> Or does one just assume such?

While the ARIN staff has some leeway in the policy as proposed, the
policy clearly requires ARIN to document the process they will use
on the ARIN public web site before implementing the plan.  The
discretion is that the staff can construct the process in the most
efficient manor for them and for the ARIN members.  Since it will
be clearly and publically posted before it can be implemented if
the ARIN staff somehow abuses their discretion (which I consider
highly unlikely, as Owen points out they are more likely to err on
the side of not acting, rather than acting too much) in the
construction of the procedure there will be an opportunity for
public outcry after it's posted but before the policy is actually
implemented.