[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-2: Directory Services Overhaul

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Apr 18 07:25:23 EDT 2005

--On Monday, April 18, 2005 5:01 -0700 Jeff Williams
<jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Owen and all,
>
>   I did NOT say ARIN had caused ANY harm.  I DID say that
> harm has already occurred, AND that this proposed policy can
> ONLY address one avenue by which harm can be caused.

Fair enough...

>   So I believe it is you that did not understand what I said, Owen.
> And perhaps in part that is my fault.  I hope now you and/or
> anyone else is clear as to what, why and how this proposed
> policy is insufficient IF harm is to be dealt with given lack
> of policy directives as well as unchecked discretion by the
> ARIN staff.  Else, the same result Jon caused will undoubtedly
> reoccur all be it to a lessor degree and/or possibly over a longer
> time frame...

You are right... This policy, and, every other ARIN policy does not
cure all the worlds woes.  The best we can seek in any policy proposal
is an incremental improvement over the current situation.  When deciding
whether to support a policy or not, I tend to evaluate it on the basis
of "Is this better than what we have now?"  If the answer to that question
is a clear yes, as I believe it to be with this policy, then, I will
support the policy.

Are there problems this policy doesn't address?  Sure.  Are there areas
of this problem for which this policy is inadequate?  Sure.  Is there
any area where this policy is worse than the current policy?  I don't
believe so.  Is it better than what we have now?  Yes.

Owen