[ppml] comments on 2005-2

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Fri Apr 15 17:02:18 EDT 2005

At 16:43 -0400 4/15/05, Bill Van Emburg wrote:
>Edward Lewis wrote:
>>  At 16:03 -0400 4/15/05, Leo Bicknell wrote:
>>   >As I said to a previous poster, it's just a label.  A flag that a
>>   >particular step in the process has been passed.  I suppose we could
>>   >add a definition, but it would be "someone who has failed the first
>>   >round of contacting is classified as suspended".
>>  Then don't use the word "suspended," perhaps "labeled" (or
>>"marked," or "noted as unresponsive").  Suspended has connotes
>>restrictions are put in place.  ("Suspended license.")
>>

>I feel strongly that "suspended" *should* be the language, and should mean
>something.  There is no reason ARIN can't deny future resources to someone
>who's suspended; turn off their reverse DNS delegations; or even reclaim
>the space.

I'll put it this way...

Upon first contact by ARIN staff of a reportedly unresponsive
contact, the contact is marked as "being
researched/investigated/verified".  Because the contact might be a
postal address, you have to allow for some latency in the testing -
even email is not necessarily immediate.

Once a contact has failed to respond in an appropriate window of
time, the contact is noted as non-responsive and some actions are
taken.

If all contacts for a resource are marked as non-responsive, then the
label of "suspended" comes into play.  Two kinds of suspension can
exist - suspension from automatic updates to the database (to
suppress the chance of hijacking the resource) and suspension
"warnings" to the routing community.  You can divide the problem into
suspending a POC object (no cert, no changes, no more space) and
suspending a resource (it shouldn't be routed, no reverse DNS).

(Reclaiming space is more drastic than suspending it.  Neither space
should be allowed to be used, but reclaimed space is no longer
"reserved" for the original purpose.)

Note - having ARIN police the routing tables is not what I mean.
What I mean by the latter is that the only meaningful suspension of a
resource is to make it's use "illegal".  (Like a suspended drivers
license.)

So - in the interim of testing the contact, I think you don't mark
the contact as "suspended."  (Innocent until proven guilty and all
that.)  Once the contact is a problem, appropriate penalties should
apply.

Keep in mind that testing contacts have to deal with the reality of
time.  And that for a network resource, there may be multiple
contacts.

So - I think that suspended isn't the right word for initial reports
of non-responsive, but suspended with teeth is the right word for
resources with no responding contacts.