[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-2: Directory Services Overhaul

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Apr 15 17:02:37 EDT 2005

>  Let me just ask about 'reclaim' a resource... Does that mean if a
> ISP should assign a /24 to a customer, and that customer should commit
> these 'offenses', do you then reclaim a whole /14 or larger resorce that
> the /24 is part of?

Everyone,
	Please, understand that ALL ARIN policies apply to resources
allocated or assigned by ARIN directly to an ORGANIZATION which has
signed an ARIN Registration Services Agreement.  If the ORGANIZATION
to which ARIN has allocated or assigned the superset resource
works in good faith with ARIN to resolve the issue and maintains
contact with ARIN, there is no issue.  If the ORGANIZATION to
which ARIN has allocated or assigned the superset resource
is unresponsive, then, it is in the best interests of the community
for ARIN to suspend IN-ADDR delegation for the smallest feasible
portion (e.g. /24 or multiple /24s) of the resource which is
known to be a LAME delegation.

	There is no reason to believe that an ISP is going to lose
their /14 because a /24 within it is broken.  This is unrealistic
overreaching.  However, if a  /28 is delegated lamely, and ARIN
cannot reach the upstream ARIN subscriber, then, ARIN would, IMHO,
be right to suspend IN-ADDR service for the relevant /24.  Eventually,
the upstream subscriber will either respond (in the form of renewal)
or ARIN should reclaim the resource anyway.

Owen