[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-3: Lame Delegations

Glenn Wiltse iggy at merit.edu
Thu Apr 14 13:12:10 EDT 2005

   That is all well and good... and quite frankly I personaly appreate the
discussion that just took place... as it attempted to answer my question
to Why? Why is any of this effort to get rid of lame delegation nessasary.

 Now that I've got the answer(for the most part) and also done further
research on my own. I think the policy proposal is full of problems and I
would not support it at this time.

 I'll try to sumerise what I find objectionable and/or confused
by... (with regard to the proposal itself)

 First off, we are told that lame delegations are a problem, and
there needs to be action taken to correct it. I'll accept that there
at least is the potential for overloded servers by just leaving lame
delegations alone, however I see no data that would indicate exactly
how big a problem it is.

 Next we are asked by the AC to get rid of the current procedures
for contacting the people responsible for the servers that are suposed
to be lame. The reason we are asked to remove the details of the
procedures for contacting these people, is because ARIN staff apparently
don't have time to do it all. Yet we aren't told what parts of the current
procedures are taking up all the time. We also have been given no data
to indicate how much time is currently spent in trying to eradicate
lame delegations.

  For now, lets just consider those two points... We don't know how
big of a problem lame delegations are in terms of server load and we
don't know how much time is spent trying to get rid of lame delegations.
All we know is that ARIN staff apparently is unable to keep up with
the current methods for getting rid of the lame delegations. For all
I know, it might be a better use of ARIN resources to beef up the
servers.

  So, aside from not having enough information to make a wise choice
on the above to points...

  I think it's important there be clear statements about the steps
that will be taken before deleting a lame delegation. I'm no lawyer
but I would think that there could be some liablity issues involved
if you simply start removing delegations to the in-addr.arpa space
without clearly stating the policy and procedures. With the current
policy, at least there is clear wording that describes how the attempted
contacts will proceed, and how long ARIN will wait before deleting
a 'lame' delegation. While eliminating this wording may help ARIN staf,
it's not clear it helps ARIN customers much.

  I also don't like that nether the current or proposed policys would
be clear as to wether a whole CIDR blocks worth of delegations will
be droped when there may only be one portion of that block being actualy
lame...

  Well I said I was going to sumerise this... I haven't made much
progress in doing that yet...  but I guess as close as I can get is...

I can not support the "Policy Proposal 2005-3: Lame Delegations" since
I see numorious flaws with it. I also have virtualy no data that would
help me make an informed decsion about this proposal.

Glenn