[ppml] comments on 2004-3

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Thu Apr 14 11:25:45 EDT 2005

http://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2004_3.html

# End-users not currently connected to an ISP and/or not planning to be
# connected to the Internet are encouraged to use private IP address numbers
# reserved for non-connected networks (see RFC 1918). When private,
# non-connected networks require interconnectivity and the private IP address
# numbers are ineffective, globally unique addresses may be requested and
# used to provide this interconnectivity.

I would like to add that these registrations are barred from listing
name servers.

If these networks are truly "not...connected to the Internet" then
there is no reason to list name servers for these networks in the
Internet-viewable DNS and APID (ARIN Public Information Database).
There would be no reason for the registrant to operate name servers
on the public Internet for these unreachable destinations.

Without barring name servers on these networks, there is potential
for lame (non-responsive) delegations.

If a disconnected network numbered under this policy is to be
connected to the Internet, only then should name servers be permitted.

I suppose that this policy is not intended to differentiate among
Internet-connected networks and non-connected.  The point of
restricting name servers is not to differentiate within the policy,
the point is to limit the spread of lame DNS delegations.