[ppml] 2005-1 and/or Multi6

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Thu Apr 14 10:56:49 EDT 2005

> Michael Dillon wrote:
> However, it is unwise and imprudent to offer them /48 prefixes
> which are highly wasteful of global router capacity when we
> could give them shorter /32 prefixes. In doing so we are
> leveraging the vast oversupply of IPv6 address space to help
> conserve the processor, memory, and circuit capacity of network
> operators.

Michael, I think this can't be won for the moment. The bit count issue
with /48 is not the choke point of large numbers of PI prefixes. This is
a matter of stability, not memory.

> Daniel Roesen wrote:
> I haven't seen any vendor rep warning about PI yet.
> My conclusion is that they are confident to be able
> to build what we need.

Actually, I was discussing this privately with someone from vendor J
recently, they have warned publicly for a while that they are not sure
that they will be able to ride Moore's law.
This was presented in May 2003:

http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/IPv6%20Transition.ppt#888,37,P
ossible Solution #1: Do Nothing

or go to slide 37 of