[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-3: Lame Delegations

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Wed Apr 13 18:48:32 EDT 2005

At 12:19 -0700 4/13/05, David Conrad wrote:
>On Apr 13, 2005, at 11:11 AM, Paul Vixie wrote:
>>>  Why?  Why is this nessasary? If someone's got their in-addr.arpa stuff
>>>  broken, it's not really hurting anyone but themselves. Seems like this
>>>  is a waste of ARIN resources to me.
>>  i don't agree.  bad or missing in-addr.arpa or ip6.arpa data hurts us all.
>
>While I do not necessarily disagree, can you expand on why you believe lack of
>reverse information hurts us?

I see Paul has answered this, but I think that there's a non-sequiter here.

The lame delegation policy is meant to trim bad referrals from an
ARIN managed name server to a supposedly running server that is not.
The point isn't the worthiness of the reverse map at all - the point
is the health of what is there.

Paul's "bad or missing" - IMHO - refers to data incorrectly stating
that DNS is running on a system and/or "missing" servers, not to the
presence or absence of "name servers on a network block."

Incorrect referrals have induced some DNS implementations to overly
burden the root servers (and others).  Partly to blame is the
convention of a name server, in claiming lameness, is to refer the
requestor back to the root.  Unwary implementations would loop
forever.  Wary implementations that just won't take an intermediate
"no" for an answer keep pounding away too.  Such observations led to
the original lame delegation policy.

As someone who lives and breathes DNS, I can't imagine why a network
operator wouldn't have at least a stub zone for their address range
mostly because it's so trivial to set up and some DNS-using
applications expect there to be something.  But I won't go so far as
to say that the reverse map is mandatory.