[ppml] Draft ARIN Recomendation

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 21 22:38:42 EDT 2004

Hi Geoff.

Some good points to think about.

One regret I have about the meeting is not asking for a "sense of the
room" when this topic came up. It would have been really useful to get
a better sense of how widely shared the view is.

Also, since no one has posted the 'problem' yet, let me give a summary
of what I thought I heard during the meeting:

The jist of the issue as I understand it is that folk are worried that
there will be tremendous pressure on ISPs to route ULAs and that they
will in fact become the PI addresses in practice that we don't know
how to route in a scalable fashion. And at some point in the future
we'll have a huge mess with only ULA addresses being used. I.e., folk
(end users) will see these as PI addresses, won't notice the fine
print about "not globally routable" and will force ISPs to route
them. And since this works in the short term, at the point where it
becomes a real problem expectations will have been sent and we can't
roll things back.

Is this even close to what people are thinking?

Thomas