[ppml] Policy Proposal 2004-6: Privacy of Reassignment Inform ation

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Wed Oct 20 06:29:32 EDT 2004

> In any
> case, their upstream provider has the most powerful tool imaginable to
> ensure that the downstream honors abuse complaints: it can simply
disconnect
> them!

That is perhaps a little extreme. However, it is true
to say that there are contractual obligations between
upstream and downstream which the upstream can enforce
if the writers of the contract language have taken into
consideration the need to manage/limit/stop abuse by
downstream sites.

I think it is a mistake for us to try and fix contractual
difficulties by enforcing policies which require all
IP address users to publish contact information.

I believe that the right way is to focus our policies
on the small number of large organizations who have a
vested interest in the functioning of the Internet. These
organizations all receive addresses from ARIN and therefore
have a contractual relationship with ARIN. Our policies should
encourage ARIN members/subscribers to establish contractual
agreements with their customers that allow the enforcement
of AUPs and the quick resolution of network issues, abuse
or otherwise.

I believe that policies which permit ISPs to keep the bulk
of their whois information private are a GOOD THING because
they shift the focus onto the real problem which is policing
the network. I don't want ARIN or any third party to police
the network. I want ISPs to police themselves and their direct
downstreams. I want those downstreams to police themselves and
their customers. I want to see an unbroken chain of contractual
commitments from ARIN down to the end-user so that ISPs have
a clear and unequivocable right to disconnect service in
the case of abuse. When this is in place the issues of
reporting abuse and the communication chains between ISPs will
resolve themselves naturally in the same way as anything else
that they agree in their contracts.

--Michael Dillon
Radianz