[ppml] composition of and representation on the BoT

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Tue Nov 23 05:25:26 EST 2004

> > I think the first thing ARIN should do is to actively have a survey of

> > the membership.  Not some web form thingy, but hire a company that
will
> > call each and every member and ask them a series of short and specific

> > questions. THen report those results to the membership and to the
public.

This is a good idea.

> "What arin need to do to get more
> participation of membership in the election process and in other ARIN
> activities?"

But that question is absolute poison. We should not be having a
metadiscussion with members in the survey. Instead, the survey
should be all about the actual purpose of ARIN, the work that
ARIN does or could do, and the issues that members see on the
horizon.

If this survey results in ongoing member participation, then that
is a nice side effect but not the main purpose of the survey.
The survey itself is a form of participation/communication
which can be used to guide the activities of ARIN, the AC and
the PPML.

To encourage ongoing participation, we would need to provide
a justification for member company management to appoint someone
to work on ARIN issues within the member company. Nowadays,
IP addressing is simply a technical admin task within companies
and is not well connected with the strategic and policymaking
roles within member companies. This is the root of the problem.

--Michael Dillon