[ppml] NRO Response to ITU Comments on th e Management of Internet Protocol (IP) Addresses

da Silva, Ron rdasilva at va.rr.com
Fri Nov 19 11:43:01 EST 2004

> Are you suggesting that individuals themselves should be
responsible....?
> ....to identify those things that affect them and seek solutions and
> collaborating/supporting individuals and organizations....?

I made no such suggestion; however, it appears that you have.  And
perhaps some balance is most realistic in that we leave it up to the
individual, organization or government to get involved when so desired
and yet have some level of presence so that when someone has an
interest, it is easy for him to readily pursue his liberty to
participate.

> We have similarly novel idea here at the university.... students are
> responsible for learning.... teachers and facilities are there only to
> support them....

Likewise, individuals/organizations are responsible for participating in
the OPEN process...the AC, BOT and staff are there to support them...

The critical issue (before this thread began swirling around CLEW) is
the openness of the present RIR processes vs. the closed system of the
ITU.  I hope we have agreement there.  Are there constituencies that are
disenfranchised in the current mode of operation?  And if so, what (if
any) effort should be applied to preserve that posture of openness?

-ron