[ppml] RE: [arin-announce] NRO Response to ITU Comments on the Management of Internet Protocol (IP) Addresses

Jim McBurnett jim at tgasolutions.com
Thu Nov 18 13:58:39 EST 2004

Greg,
>From my perspective, a non-ARIN Member, I see 3 things-
1. Many people do not even know what ARIN is!
	I took an informal survey of 10 IT professional's
	in my area. And 5 IT managers.
	The professional's varied from desktop support to CCNA's.
	Of those 15, 6 knew what ARIN is, 3 knew they could somehow
	be involved without paying dues etc, and 6 were unsure of any
	way they could influence policy.
2. This had some discussion earlier on a different thread, about a
specific
	policy and whether or not the word was out to the community.
	If a policy that affects hundreds of potential (policy) users,
is not known
	to them, how would they even know they can comment and
participate!
3. YES, most of the people that participate on here have some kind of
stake,
	as with most groups.  If you take this large scale, I bet there
are no less than 50
	organizations that you can participate in that you do not know
about.....
	This is just the way things happen.....

And lastly, I don't have #'s on this, but I am willing to say that there
are a fair number of policies even authored by non-ARIN members.
(Richard do you know?)
IE Dr Jefferey Race-- Didn't he do one year before last?????

Just my 2cents worth...

Jim