[ppml] RE: [arin-announce] NRO Response to ITU Comments on th e Management of Internet Protocol (IP) Addresses

Hannigan, Martin hannigan at verisign.com
Thu Nov 18 12:53:03 EST 2004

Here's some quick stats. I won't say they are 100%
accurate, I but for the purpose of discussion, it
should be ok:

TIER1:         14
OTHER ISP:     35
               ==
     TOTAL     49

OTHER:         28
EDU:           11
VENDORS:       09
GOV:           05
RIR:           07
               ==
     TOTAL     60

There's more NON ISP participation than ISP.

> who are the ones that I suspect have larger participation in elections
> as opposed to smaller ISPs (who can vote but too many dont)
> and as such
> have greater control over who is on ARIN BoT and ARIN AC and
> through that
> are capable of moving through policies that are of more
> interest to them
> rather then policies that are of more interest to public at-large.

The minority of the BoT is made up of ISP.

The AC makeup is largely non tier 1 ISP and predominantly other ISP.

AOL, Cisco, and MCI had the most people attending outside of
ARIN staff. MCI, nor Cisco employed folks hold any elected
position as far as I am aware.

> Now that said I certainly don't think ITU can do any better - in fact
> its even tightier group and in too many countries governments
> are corrupt

I disagree. I don't have any proof to offer except my experience
working internationally via large ISP's. I'd rather deal with
global committees than labor unions any day of the week.

> or otherwise serve only small most powerfull group of
> persons/companies.

There's certainly nothing wrong with experienced people offering
input.