[ppml] RE: [arin-announce] NRO Response to ITU Comments on the Management of Internet Protocol (IP) Addresses

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Nov 16 19:57:34 EST 2004

the best thing african governments could do for their peoples'
communications interests would be to stop forcing, supporting,
and empowering national monopoly ptts.

almost everybody suffers from the disease of having the arrogance
to claim they represent the otherwise unrepresented and no-present.
the contest is extremely keen to see which of governments, the itu,
and yes, even the historical internet governance organizations is
most vulnerable to this character flaw.  but i have a strong guess
as to which will be the easier domain in which to fix it.

my suggestion to include a librarian and a 15 year old with a modem
on the founding icann board was never taken seriously.  ah well.
the american fcc has been better at this than most, though maybe
not what one would ideally wish (not much is what i ideally wish).
the itu has been notably horrible at it.  the american government
is getting so bad it would be a joke if tens of thousands were not
being killed.  so we do have a bit of pot and kettle problem here.
but this should not discourage us from striving for ideals.

randy