[ppml] Re: [arin-announce] NRO Response to ITU Comments on the Management of Internet Protocol (IP) Addresses

da Silva, Ron rdasilva at va.rr.com
Tue Nov 16 10:46:50 EST 2004

Some general observations:

This document makes an admirable argument for asserting control over
internet governance by the UN by way of the ITU.  To summarize Mr. Zhao,

"In my opinion, it is very important to recognize that the success of
any ICT technology, and of the Internet in particular, depends on the
collaboration of all parties, and in particular of governments..."

The solution requires
"..intergovernmental...policies...transposed...into national laws and
[applied] to private companies..."

By reading those two paragraphs, you can save yourself the trouble of
reading the entire document (which is interesting nonetheless).
Specifically regarding RIR's though it states in Section 4.2.b,

"...despite [RIR's] best efforts, and even though a very large portion
of the IPv4 space has not been assigned, some believe that there is a
shortage of IPv4 addresses and voice concerns regarding the principles
and managements of the current system. Some developing countries have
raised issues regarding IP address allocation..."

I would argue that the endorsement by the existing RIR's of the emerging
AfriNIC is a clear counter example.  Should there be some additional
outreach by the RIR's to governments within their regions to further
encourage participation in the public policy process by companies or
agencies from developing countries?

"... my idea to reserve a block of IPv6 addresses for allocation by
authorities of countries, that is, assigning a block to a country at no
cost, and letting the country itself manage this kind of address in
IPv6..."

So we should give each ITU/UN recognized government a /1 be done with
it?  How many ITU/UN recognized governments are there?  If there are
more than 256, change that to a /2?  (I think there are only 189 member
states, so the /1 would work just fine...with some space reserved for a
limited number of new states being recognized.)

-ron

PS: Anyone have any pointers to details of the ITU's Next Generation
Network (NGN) referenced in this document?