[ppml] Last Call for Comment: Policy Proposal 2003-4

Lee Howard lhoward at blackboard.com
Tue Jun 1 12:23:42 EDT 2004

It is not clear to me that the public has instructed ARIN to
encourage the adoption of IPv6.  My interpretation is that ARIN
should be making IPv6 available, but not advocating.

> If this policy proposal is adopted can it at least be done in
> conjunction with a significant fee waiver?  Say... the first 1000
> ARIN->LIR blocks are free for four years...  The fees have already
> been waived 2-3 times over the last four years.  The fear that ARIN
> is going to lose out on this big pot of money is unfounded.

Would you, as an ISP, make a significant commitment to IPv6 if you
knew it was "No payments until Memorial Day 2008?"  I will confess
to a certain fear as Treasurer that IPv6 will skyrocket one year,
and our costs will skyrocket proportionately, and the public and/or
the members will scream when we finally begin collecting the fees
that have been waived for so long.

> Or, how about every current customer that is already paying
> ARIN fees for IPv4 can get a free IPv6 block?

That is the current policy. IPv6 is free (fee is waived) for new
users, and:

	IPv6 fees will not be charged to organizations that are
	current ARIN IPv4 subscription holders.

http://www.arin.net/registration/fee_schedule.html#ipv6_allocation

It's either free or it's free.

> Everyone is comfortable in their IPv4 world.  There have been numerous
> arguments that the technology will be developed and then the
> demand will come.  That hasn't happened either.  How many years need
> go by before people are going to be willing to acknowledge that IPv6
needs
> a good kick in the ass in ARINland?
>
> People have lost their tolerance for being the front runners
> in hopes of cornering market share.  The majority of LIRs are going
> to wait until moving to IPv6 is either risk-free or until everyone
else
> is doing it and they need to.
>
> Put a little meat back into this policy change, or combine it with a
> *real* waiver of fees. Just my thoughts...

It seems to me that the problem is not on the supply side, but the
demand side.  Making it freer isn't going to make anybody want it
more.  If I'm wrong, and a few ISPs will say, "The only thing keeping
me from deploying IPv6 is the fees I'll see next year" I'd
discuss it with the Finance Committee and the Board.  Since IPv6 is
waived for IPv4 subscribers, that's a small constituency, though.

Final note for us as we evaluate the comments received during Last
Call:  Should we interpret your comments as meaning you do not support
policy proposal 2003-4 as currently written?

Thanks,
Lee Howard
Treasurer, Board Member, Coffee Drinker