[ppml] TRO

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Thu Jul 1 06:01:39 EDT 2004

Let's all remember that TROs are not permanent. The T stands for
Temporary. Also, the court has not said that the plaintiff's IP addresses
are portable, i.e. the court has not made a ruling. They have simply said
"Whoaaa Nelly, hold on there, don't do anything you might regret while we
think about it".

Because there is no court ruling there are no precedents and there are no
implications for other companies. The only people who really need to think
about taking some sort of action are ARIN, ICANN and New Jersey ISPs. And
as we have learned, several of these are indeed preparing
friend-of-the-court briefs (that's amicus curiae if you prefer the ancient
mother tongue) and there is a high likelihood that the whole matter will
be resolved in favor of the status quo (that's latin slang for the way
things are).

If the matter ever gets transferred to a federal court, then we can begin
to worry, but for now, relax and enjoy the summer.

--Michael Dillon