[ppml] Bogons etc...

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Thu Jan 22 11:09:53 EST 2004

<looking into my PPML time machine>

We have been down these roads before.  There are liability concerns that
ARIN must address regardless of the protocol used to distribute this
information.  Nobody on this list aside from ARIN legal staff (if they are
on the list) are qualified to render an authoritative opinion with respect
to ARIN's legal exposure.  As an ARIN AC member, I will bring this issue up
(generally) at the next AC meeting and if there is sufficient consensus
among AC members we will request a legal opinion.

Now, on to operational considerations.  Does anybody remember ORBS?  They
were DoS'ed off the 'net by spammers.  If ARIN starts running this type of
service, there will be a _significant_ operational cost increase taken on
by ARIN, because the DoS attacks will come, and they may come with such a
volume as to completely render all of ARIN offline.

I do not suggest for a second that we should not implement such a directory
simply for this reason, I merely bring it up so that the issue can be
included in the larger discussion.  Clearly there are ways to help deal
with the issue (such as doing an anycast distribution of the directory).

At any rate, I also think that this should be moved to the DBWG mailing
list, as this really is an operational issue that specifically deals with
the ARIN database.

Alec
Chair, ARIN AC