[ppml] Proposed policy - Use of HD-Ratio for IPv4 Allocations

Charles Scott cscott at gaslightmedia.com
Thu Feb 19 13:23:29 EST 2004

PPML:
  I would prefer to see this proposal apply exclusively to end-user
assignments. Having read the rationale for HD ratio, I am unable to see
how HD applies to an address block that is consumed by assignment of
blocks to end-users.
  The rationale for HD is based on the complexities and practicalities of
deploying resources in a numerically hierarchical manner, although I
believe that those issues are at least somewhat mitigated by the ability
to route subnets that are not numerically subordinate to the network in
which they exist. Those complexities and practicalities, however, have not
been shown to relate to the allocation of address space in blocks to end
users.
  If an ISP both consumes and assigns address space, it would seem that
those two functions should be separated to enable the ISP to opt into HD
for the address space it assigns to itself for it's own consumption, while
still using the existing policy to dictate the manner in which they
receive block assignments from ARIN. I believe that some, if not most,
ISP's effectively do this now.
  I believe that by limiting the following policy to end-user policy only
it could offer (possibly) needed relief for the implementation of large
networks by end-users without risking significant affects on the overall
address pool.

Chuck Scott