[ppml] On subject of 2003-3 and 2003-5 and whois data availability

william<at>elan.net william at elan.net
Thu Feb 12 15:09:01 EST 2004

The subject of 2003-3 and what needs to be reported in whois reminded of
something I wanted to be clarified. It appears several companies (L3 for
example) are of the opinion that they do not need to report customer
announcements in whois and they are only required to report them to ARIN
Before they partly justified this by saying they have internal rwhois
server that they make available to ARIN which complies with ARIN polices.

I'd like to know ARIN's and others opinion on this and if they believe the
current policies require companies to make all reassignments to customers
(reassignments of /28 or larger I think) be available in public whois or
publicly available through ISP maintained rwhois server.

And does this issue with requirement for public access to rwhois properly
addresses by 2003-5 policy proposal (i.e. would I be able to tell them
that they must make access to rwhois server publicly available after this
policy is adapted by BOT). Also when 2003-5 is adapted what kind of
time-frame does ARIN estimate it needs to provide to its ISP members to
make any necessary improvements in service to properly comply with this
policy. Here I have a suggest that after policy is adapted that ARIN send
notice to tech and admin contacts for all organizations that use rwhois
server to inform that they of the adaption of this policy and that they
have such and such fixed timeframe to make necesary changes and that
after that time ARIN will check on the rwhois server to make sure its
properly configured and returns proper information (ok, maybe asking
ARIN to do check on every rwhois server is too much of resource drain but
it can probably do some random checks and act on reports).

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net