[ppml] Nasty business with 2003-3

william<at>elan.net william at elan.net
Thu Feb 12 11:52:47 EST 2004

USPS codes can only narrow down the search to very small area if the last
4 digits are includes (i.e. ZIP+4 as you indicate), but last 4 digits are
not considered to be required part of zip or postal code - it is optional
and used and added primarily by postal carriers to help in mail routing,
most people omit it when just casually writing the address and I would
suspect ISPs and customers that care about privacy will omit this last 4
digits.

Just zip code itself (5 digits) is usually wide enough (size of small city)
and is not a violation of prvicay - while at the other hand it comes very
usefull in identifying statistical distribution of assignments, particulary
by automated means (its a lot easier to automate system to obtain and use
database ofall zip codes then for all cities and villages, large and
small in the US).

Now this does not mean I agree with the policy - I'm opposed to it as I do
not believe the kind of privacy requirements that are being asked are
necessary and their presense causes problems for those investigating
incidents of abuse and allow for much more abuse directly from ISPs.
However not passing policy just because of presence of zip code is just
complete nonsence. If city name is there, the address might as well include
zip and make statistic analysis easier.