[ppml] HD Ratio changes

Patrick Grosso arin at patrickgrosso.com
Tue Feb 10 18:38:30 EST 2004

All,

This is not a proposed addition to the policy, but rather a commentary
on the issue.  Please excuse me if I do not understand all of the
intricacies.

The HD Ratio Policy seems to be getting complicated.  We should keep
things SIMPLE.  Especially since there will be newcomers to the ARIN
policies that will need to learn how to adopt our practices in a short
period of time.

I prefer % utilization over a log function, because a log function will
be prejudicially favorable to either the "small provider" or the "large
provider" which ever way the function works.  An IP address is an IP
address, no matter who is allocating or assigning it.

When I was requesting address space from ARIN under the web hosting
policy, we only had to prove 80% utilization for our previous
allocation.  Efficient utilization of prior allocations was preferred
but not necessary (and was not checked).  Although we efficiently
utilized that space, it is possible that other providers did not.

Given that possibility, I pose these questions:

Can it be said that the rediscovery and repair of previous allocations
inefficiencies (or rather their inclusion towards current utilization
rates) could prove more fruitful in the quest for IPv4 address space?

If a new policy is ratified, will it only apply to new allocations?  If
so then we are only talking about a small scope of addresses (those that
are "saved" from the remaining allocations to come (although I am not
discounting this issue, because it is important as well).

Conclusion

Where I can see some technical limitations on reassigning past customer
(churned) address space due to the way a network has be subnetted, I see
no problem in efficiently reassigning those subnets under the web
hosting policy (or dial, dsl, etc).  I believe that better practices (of
both ARIN and ISP) during the additional request process will provide a
far greater gain.  Practices that would include the (true) inclusion of
previously allocated address space, and the more meticulous weeding out
of 'ghost' reassignments (SWIP's of customers that are no longer there).
Rather than rehash an existing policy, I think we should look elsewhere
for NEW ways to extend the life of our IPv4 address space, both old and
new. (And enforce those measures).

Regards,

Patrick Grosso