[ppml] broken subscriber

Ed Allen Smith easmith at beatrice.rutgers.edu
Mon Dec 13 20:42:36 EST 2004

In message <16829.62655.184350.317485 at ran.psg.com> (on 13 December 2004
11:59:59 -0800), randy at psg.com (Randy Bush) wrote:
>everyone who posts to the ppml list is blessed with one of these
>
>    From: null at ait.com
>    To: randy at psg.com
>    Subject: Inactive Email Recipient
>    Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:54:20 -0500
>

>    =========================================================================
>
>	    You have reached an email address that is no longer in use.
>	    If you need to contact Advanced Internet Technologies,
>	    please visit our website for contact information.
>
>    =========================================================================
>
>i have whined at the arin postmaster to no avail.  perhaps a
>more public whine will work.

Perhaps the proper answer is for AIT to stop using a receive-then-bounce
technique, which will also be generating bounces to addresses forged by
spammers (including viruses) et al? (Indeed, such "backscatter" from various
servers is currently the largest component of the junk email attempting to
come into our local mailserver.) Mailing list software also has a much
higher likelihood of dealing with that automatically.

	 -Allen

--
Allen Smith			http://cesario.rutgers.edu/easmith/
September 11, 2001		A Day That Shall Live In Infamy II