[ppml] Provider Independence???

marcelo bagnulo braun marcelo at it.uc3m.es
Thu Dec 9 13:51:50 EST 2004

I think we are mixing stuff here, that are slightly different.
I think that we have different approaches here:
one thing is geo addressing as in Tony Hain's PI proposal. In this
case, the address block you get depends on your GPS location
another different thing is IX based addressing, that can be considered
a form of geo addressing but with additional constraints. In this case,
the address block is assigned to the IX, and a site can use it as long
as its ISP is in the IX. If the site changes to another provider that
is not in the IX, it needs to change addresses (even though the site
haven't moved geographically)

I thought we were talking about the first one, but now it seems we are
considering the second one. Could you confirm what are we talking about
here?

In IX based addressing there is no problem with topology matching
geography since this is the case by definition. At this point, the
sites would obtain an address block directly from the IX and the ISP of
the IX that want to provide service to one of such users need to
advertise the whole IX address block. So all isps announcing the
address block will receive traffic to any of the sites that are using
IX addresses. It is up to the ISPs to decide whether they want to serve
such sites or not. I still think that this approach doesn't make
business sense. But i think that we repeating ourselves by now, so i
will shut up now.

regards, marcelo