[ppml] Provider Independence???

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Thu Dec 9 10:15:20 EST 2004

> but what happens if a ISP don't want to accept the peering conditions
> of the other ISPs in the region, what happens then?

Then they don't use geo addresses. Instead they use the
existing non-geo v6 addresses. The idea of geo addressing
is all about creating choices that can be use to solve
the PI addressing problem for the majority of end
networks. It is not necessary for every ISP to offer
geo addressing services for this to work. It really
comes down to business demand in each individual area.
Maybe businesses in Sacramento will demand geo addressing
services because PI is important to them, but businesses
in San Francisco don't care about PI and don't use geo
addressing.

I'm just saying that it is the responsibility of
the RIRs and the IETF to provide the possibility
of geo addressing so that those end networks who
want to buy PI-supporting connectivity can find
ISPs who offer it.

At this point in time, it seems that the IPv6
Internet will be the one single network interconnecting
everything on the planet, public and private,
by the end of the 21st century. We cannot architect
this in the same way as IPv4. We need to offer more
flexibility.

--Michael Dillon