[ppml] Provider Independence???

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Dec 8 17:51:07 EST 2004

Thus spake <Michael.Dillon at radianz.com>
> I have no idea what you are talking about. This sounds like
> you are taking the position of the big five networks circa 1994
> who were trying to prevent their customers from selling connectivity
> to downstream ISPs. The market has worked out this problem.
> We have lots of paths with greater than 2 ASNs in them.
> Geographic addressing doesn't change this in any way.

As tempting as it is to continue discussing how a geographic addressing plan
would work in practice, it is clear that the current Internet topology and
transit/peering model do not support such a plan at this time and it would
take years (and probably regulatory pressure) to make it happen.

In that light, it appears necessary to provide PI prefixes in the immediate
future, and we should be debating the current proposal in comparison to the
proposed alternatives (none) and to doing nothing.  If/when a viable
alternative is developed, ARIN can modify or repeal the PI policy based on
community discussion.  Unlike v4 swamp assignments, ARIN also has clear
authority to reclaim _all_ v6 assignments if necessary.

Today, there are about 16k origin-only ASes; that is the number of new IPv6
routes that one would expect this policy to generate and is clearly within
the capabilities of today's hardware.  If demand is significantly stronger
than expected, the community can revisit whether it is necessary to modify
or repeal the policy to address operational concerns even if no viable
alternative has presented itself yet.