[ppml] Provider Independence???

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Wed Dec 8 16:24:26 EST 2004

Marcelo,

Yes, "no money, no transit" is the business rule used by most financially
solvent ISPs out there today. Other models have been tried in the past. I
guess that most of the folk that did bet their business on other models are
no longer with us today. So, as a logical extension of your comment, it
appears that in order to get geo addressing to work in a routing-efficient
manner  the consequent task is to grapple with the topic of inter-provider
financial settlements for IP transit.

I think at that stage we are well off the core topic of this mailing list,
so I'll take Randy's advice and make any further comment from me off list.

   Geoff