[ppml] Provider Independence???

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Wed Dec 8 15:00:41 EST 2004

At 05:55 AM 9/12/2004, Randy Bush wrote:
>the geographic allocation of address space is so completely
>ops-clueless and brain-dead that discussing it at all is
>a red herring to getting useful work done.

Unfortunately others appear to have latched onto this as the foundation of
a 'competitive' approach to address distribution mechanism (see the ITU
paper at
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/tsb-director/itut-wsis/files/zhao-netgov02.doc
(yes, its a word file)).

I wonder if there is anyone interested in working with me off this list in
writing done the issues behind geo-addressing? While Randy's observations
are ones I can certainly agree with, I suspect that there is some further
work to
do here in generating documentation refuting proposals that, on the whole,
attempt to borrow from telephone geo-addressing schemes and then cast
it onto the Internet.

Geoff