[ppml] Provider Independence???

Charles Scott cscott at gaslightmedia.com
Wed Dec 8 13:17:50 EST 2004

Michael:
  Working through this, I guess this means that there needs to be
"exchange points" everywhere, even in rural areas. If not, then the policy
needs to account for the "closest exchange point", and in cases where
providers don't, or can't, agree to exchange traffic, then the closest
common point would have to aggrigate the the announcement. But where might
that be? In an otherwise amorphous network, that will be difficult to
define.
  Also, how then do you propose to handle situtations where there is a
great disparity in backbone bandwidth between providers. Unless the route
costs are announced differently for each providers customers the least
well connected provider will choke, and doing so breaks the model.
  Just don't see how this works unless there's some V6 magic that can
solve this.

Chuck