[ppml] Provider Independence???

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Dec 7 13:05:39 EST 2004

The fundamental flaw with the theory of geographical aggregation is that
it would need a form of provider transit love-fest to become feasible that
simply isn't the reality of today's market conditions.  If we had instituted
this while it was still NSFnet and there was still a central authority that
could drive such policies, it might have been possible.  Today, you would
need to get all the major providers in every region to agree to provide
some form of transit for lots of people that aren't paying them to talk
to lots of other people that aren't paying them.  I just don't see that
as being likely to happen.

Owen