[ppml] Provider Independence???

Howard, W. Lee L.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Tue Dec 7 10:48:11 EST 2004

Is it possible to peer privately?
Is it possible to multihome to geographically diverse
locations?
Is it possible for an office to move to another location?

> These would be provider independent (PI) addresses
> that stay with Ford Sacramento forever. In New York
> we will never see this PI block in the routing tables
> because it will be part of the Western USA aggregate.

Where is this aggregation occurring?

> In Denver, we won't see it either because it will be
> part of the Northern California regional aggregate.
> In Los Angeles, it will only be visible in the network
> that won the bid for connecting all the Ford dealerships
> in California.

If a single provider is connecting all those dealerships,
then they don't have provider independence.  If by going
to another provider we lose aggregation, what's the
benefit?

Or have I completely missed your point?

> --Michael Dillon
>
> P.S. Apologies to Ford for singling them out but
> I really do think I have a better idea here.

Lee