[ppml] Proposed Policy: PI assignments for V6 (and v6 fees)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Dec 6 15:12:13 EST 2004

> "[If it can get an ASN, an organization] shall also qualify for one
> IPv6 prefix assignment or allocation of the minimum size justified by
> them under the ARIN guidelines for LIR assignment to such an
> organization. "
> http://www.arin.net/mailing_lists/ppml/3007.html
>
> That means a /32.  The micro-allocation policy (/48) is for "critical
> infrastructure providers."
> http://www.arin.net/policy/index.html#six10

I had not expected this to be as confusing as it apparently is.

The intent in my language in the proposal was to have ARIN make a direct
assignment of the same size as ARIN would permit an LIR to make to the
organization.  Thus, it would be a /48 (or shorter prefix/more addresses)
under current guidelines, not a /32 as stated by Lee.  I will make the
language more clear in the next revision of the proposal.

Owen